Therefore, it is no surprise that folks everywhere were excited to hear that the breakout stars the world fell in love with in Universal Pictures and Illumination Entertainment's Despicable Me global film franchise were finally headlining their own film.
And, if you missed it in theaters (or just want to relive the laughter over again), you'll be happy to know that Minions is now available on Blu-ray Combo Pack, DVD and On Demand today, December 8th!
A much anticipated prequel to the unprecedented worldwide blockbusters Despicable Me and the beloved sequel Despicable Me 2, Minions is an immensely entertaining (and hilarious!) film for all audiences.
Starting as single-celled yellow organisms, the story of the Minions begins at the dawn of time and evolves through the ages as these cute characters perpetually serve (and accidentally eliminate) history's most despicable of master villains. However, as the Minions are continuously unsuccessful at keeping these masters—from T. Rex to Napoleon—the Minions' latest explosive mistake leaves them without someone to serve and causes them to fall into a deep depression.
But one Minion named Kevin has a plan, and he—alongside teenage rebel Stuart and lovable little Bob—ventures out into the world to find a new evil boss for his brethren to follow.
The trio embark upon a thrilling journey that ultimately leads them to their next potential master, Scarlet Overkill (voiced by Academy Award-winner Sandra Bullock), the world's first-ever female super-villain.
From frigid Antarctica to 1960s New York City to 'mod' London, Kevin, Stuart, and Bob eventually end up being challenged to save all of Minionkind from annihilation. Will they succeed?
This unique and inventive tale is just too fun! Plus, along with getting to see the Minions headline their own movie for the first time, the Blu-ray Combo Pack and Digital HD of Minions also comes with three all-new mini-movies (Cro Minion, Competition, and Binky Nelson Unpacified) and a slew of great bonus features:
- Deleted Scene – Me, Myself and Stuart
- Around the World Interactive Map – Explore the world of the Minions with this interactive map featuring a collection of games, trivia, featurettes, storyboards, and more all themed to movie locations.
- Behind the Goggles – The Illumination Story of the Minions – Get a "behind the googles" look at the history and evolution of everyone's favorite yellow henchmen.
- Writer - See how the Minions evolve throughout the different time periods. Writer, Brian Lynch discusses creating distinctive personalities for the three main Minions, his VillainCon idea, and the Minion family.
- Boss' Office – Illumination Entertainment CEO and founder and Minions producer, Chris Meledandri discusses the origins of Illumination Entertainment and the genesis of both Despicable Me and Minions.
- Art Department – See how the Minions came to life, from the original art concept of the henchmen to the final creation of the Minions and how to differentiate them between new time periods. Also, see how the idea of Herb and Scarlett Overkill's characters came to be.
- Gallery – Stuart Hot Tub Storyboard (stills)
- Gallery – Concept Art (stills)
- Gallery – Color Script (stills)
- Composer – Listen to how composer Heitor Pereira creates the sound of the Minions and what it takes to create big music for small characters.
- Actors Studio – Listen to the actors' experiences being part of the Minions movie, who their favorite Minions are, and why they love them so much.
- Notice Board (stills)
- Illumination MacGuff Animation – Go behind the scenes and hear about the challenges and excitement behind the Minion characters and bringing them alive through animation in the movie.
- Lighting, Layout and Effects – A look at the ways in which layout and lighting plays a big role in the emotion and motivation in the movie. Also see the ways in which they try to keep the 60's vintage look and the challenges they face with very technical shots, where one shot can take weeks.
- 3D Models Gallery (stills)
- Jingle Bells Minion Style – This holiday favorite is brought to life in a merry-Minion way. Now you get to sing along to the beloved video that was the most shared piece of content on Facebook in 2014.
- Directors – Directors Pierre Coffin and Kyle Balda discuss the unique challenges of creating distinctive personalities for the Minions.
- Producers – Producers Chris Meledandri, Janet Healy, and Executive Producer Chris Renaud discuss the three main characters – Kevin, Stuart, and Bob – little family in the movie and the goal of creating a special bond between them and the audience when they leave the theater.
- Editorial – Editor Claire Dodgson discusses the distinctive editing style of the Despicable Me franchise and the three-year process it takes to make these movies from the original storyboards to cutting scenes with Minion dialogue.
- Storyboard Artist – Learn how the actions of the words of the script turn into visual drawings and how much work is put in from the rough sketches to the final cut of the movie.
- The Secret Life of Pets Theatrical Trailer
Find out more, watch trailers, do crafts, find recipes, and much more by visiting MinionsMovie.com. You can also connect with all things Minions on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, YouTube, Tumblr, and at the #Minions hashtag.
Other than the copy of Minions that I was provided by Universal Pictures Home Entertainment in order to facilitate my review, I was not compensated or enticed to do this post in any way. This review is solely my honest opinion of this product.