An epic adventure? A heartwarming tale of an unlikely friendship? An underlying message about confronting your fears, believing in yourself, and discovering what you are truly capable of?
It all comes together (along with those laughs) from the innovative minds of Disney•Pixar in today's release of The Good Dinosaur.
Available now on Blu-ray Combo Pack, Digital HD and Disney Movies Anywhere, The Good Dinosaur asks the question: What if the asteroid that forever changed life on Earth missed the planet completely, and giant dinosaurs never became extinct?
What follows is a glimpse into the world of dinosaurs, where viewers meet an apatosaurus named Arlo, the last to hatch among his siblings and the smallest and most fearful in his family. This 11-year-old has yet to make his mark on his family's farm but, after falling into a river and getting swept hundreds of miles from home, Arlo finds himself forced to face his fear.
While traveling through a harsh and mysterious landscape in his effort to find his way home, Arlo makes an unlikely friendship with a human boy who helps him realize he is capable of much more than he ever thought.
This small human, named Spot, is wild and tough, having lived on his own in the wilderness for much of his life. He speaks in only grunts and growls but he is fearless, confident and a survivalist. Although Spot and Arlo do not meet under the best of circumstances, it isn't long before Spot proves to be a great resource for Arlo... which then turns into a beautiful friendship.
There is no doubt that the Disney•Pixar team turned what could have been a simple children's tale into a completely original story full of humor, heart, action, and imagination that is perfect for the whole family. I laughed, I cried, I cheered on this young, brave duo, and, when the final credits rolled, I was even happier knowing that we could watch it again!
Both of my girls had seen The Good Dinosaur in the theater, but were still just as excited to watch it again and gave it two thumbs up afterward.
It's a sad movie but it turns out to be a really good one because when the dinosaur gets his friend then they have a really good time together. I liked that the little guy's name was Spot.
-Little Sister B, 7
Exciting, funny and sad all at the same time.
-Big Sister E, 9As well as the feature film, The Good Dinosaur also includes some amazing bonus features available on the Blu-ray Combo Pack, Digital HD and Disney Movies Anywhere:
- Sanjay's Super Team (theatrical short) – Sanjay loves the world of cartoons and comics, while his father tries to draw him into his Hindu traditions. Reluctance quickly turns into awe-inspiring adventure as the boy embarks on an amazing journey, returning with a new perspective they can both embrace.
- True Lies About Dinosaurs – Learn more about what separates the fictional dinosaurs of The Good Dinosaur from what scientists know about real dinosaurs.
- Recyclosaurus – Watch as the crew of The Good Dinosaur competes to see which department can create the best dinosaur ever…using only recycled, discarded items from the studio's "free table."
- The Filmmakers' Journey – Director Peter Sohn and his fellow filmmakers talk about the challenging, inspiring, and unexpectedly emotional experience of making The Good Dinosaur.
- Every Part of the Dinosaur – The filmmakers talk about the special animation challenges of The Good Dinosaur, including figuring out how to animate a dinosaur who is really a boy and a boy who has the spirit of a dog.
- Following the T-Rex Trail – Follow the filmmakers as they travel to a working cattle ranch and meet the McKays, a close-knit family whose work ethic, generosity, and stories inspired the T-Rex ranchers of the film.
- Dino Bites – A montage of original animated pieces produced to promote The Good Dinosaur.
- Hide and Seek – A short animated clip produced to promote The Good Dinosaur.
- Commentary – Commentary from director Peter Sohn, story supervisor Kelsey Mann, supervising animator Mike Venturini, director of photography/lighting Sharon Calahan, and supervising technical director Sanjay Bakshi.
- Deleted Scenes –
- The Attack – An idyllic introduction to the family farm is cut short when a savage predator attacks the newborn Arlo. With an introduction by Director Peter Sohn.
- Building the Silo – An admiring Arlo is thrilled to follow along as his father builds a silo for the family farm. With an introduction by Director Peter Sohn.
- Waiting for Poppa – Arlo awaits the return of his beloved father on a stormy night, only to be greeted with tragic news. With an introduction by Director Peter Sohn.
Filled with laughter, heart, adventure and thrills, The Good Dinosaur has a running time of 93 minutes and is available now. Be sure to keep an eye out for this magical film at your local retailers as well as from Amazon (where the Blu-ray Combo Pack currently retails for $22.99).
You can also find out much more about this great movie on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Other than a copy of The Good Dinosaur that I was provided in order to facilitate my review, I was not compensated or enticed to do this post in any way. This review is solely my honest opinion about this product.