However, when a film manages to include much more than simply entertainment, it's difficult to not take notice. An epic adventure? A heartwarming tale of an unlikely friendship? An underlying message about following your dreams, believing in yourself, and discovering what you are truly capable of?
The combination of all of that (plus more) is exactly why Walt Disney Animation Studios' comedy-adventure, Zootopia, has broken records worldwide earning more than $900 million at the global box office to date... and can now be enjoyed at home anytime thanks to its release on Digital HD, Blu-ray, Disney Movies Anywhere, DVD and On-Demand!
The best reviewed movie of 2016, critics and audiences around the world have fallen in love with the wonderfully innovative animal metropolis of Zootopia and the comedic chemistry of rookie rabbit officer Judy Hopps (Ginnifer Goodwin) and scam-artist fox Nick Wilde (Jason Bateman).
If you haven't yet seen this film, it is set in the mammal city of Zootopia, where animals from the largest elephant to the smallest shrew live and thrive. When Judy Hopps, a rabbit from rural Bunnyburrow, becomes the first rabbit to join the city's police force, she quickly learns how tough it is to enforce the law.
Determined to prove herself, Judy jumps at the opportunity to crack an unsolved case of missing mammals even if it means working with a fast-talking, scam-artist fox, Nick Wilde, to solve the mystery. But the case leads these two unlikely partners to an uneasy conclusion that Zootopia's "evolved" society is being pulled apart by unseen forces determined to use fear to take control of the city by turning predators and prey against each other.
Through the ups and downs and surprise twists, viewers of all ages will enjoy the vibrant world of Zootopia and the cast of adorable and humorous characters!
As well as being thrilled to be able to watch Zootopia time and time again, my family has been excited to discover more about the evolution of this extraordinary tale through the various in-depth bonus features included via Digital HD, Blu-ray, DVD, On-Demand, and Disney Movies Anywhere.
These new bonus offerings including candid conversations with filmmakers and artists behind Zootopia, an alternate opening, never-before-seen characters and deleted scenes, and a sneak peek at some of the hidden Easter Eggs that make reference to Disney Animation's most beloved films and characters.
Just check out some of these fun and innovative Easter Eggs that you're not going to want to miss!
Complete bonus features for Zootopia on Blu-ray 3D, Blu-ray and Digital HD include:
- Zoology: The Roundtables – Ginnifer Goodwin hosts an in-depth look at the movie’s characters, animation, environments and more. The artists at Disney Animation give a rare and in-depth look at the complexities of bringing an all-animal world to life from the ground-breaking technology behind the characters’ fur and clothing to the varied and vast environments of Tundratown, Sahara Square and the Rainforest District as well as the deep thought and research given to bringing 64 unique animal species to life through animation.
- The Origin of an Animal Tale – Follow the story’s development from its origins to a big story shift that turned the film upside down. In this feature-length documentary, filmmakers give a candid look into the difficulties of creating the story of Zootopia and the bold decision to switch the main character late in the production process, putting one resolute rabbit center stage.
- Research: A True-Life Adventure – The filmmakers traveled the globe to find inspiration for the diverse characters and amazing city of Zootopia. They reflect on the importance of research and how a deep dive into animal behavior at Disney Animal Kingdom theme park and a deep immersion into animal society on the African savanna shaped and inspired the characters of Zootopia and changed the filmmakers’ lives forever.
- Z.P.D. Forensic Files – Find the movie's hidden Easter Eggs. Every city has its hidden gems, especially when it has been created by the filmmakers of Disney Animation who love nothing more than sprinkling hidden references to some of Disney’s greatest animated features throughout the story.
- Scoretopia – Academy Award-winning composer, Michael Giacchino spotlights five of cinema’s greatest percussionists and how they brought an organic, animalistic sound to his powerful and emotional music score.
- Deleted Characters – Directors Byron Howard and Rich Moore introduce citizens of Zootopia who did not make the final cut.
- Deleted Scenes:
- Alternate Opening – Young Judy Hopps rescues a fellow classmate and realizes she can reach beyond a life in carrot farming to a future in law enforcement.
- Wild Times! Pitch – Nick desperately pitches the bankers of Zootopia on funding Wild Times!, an amusement park made exclusively for the predators of Zootopia and a sure-fire, money-making scheme for Nick and his friends.
- Alternate Homesick Hopps – After a frustrating first day on the force, Judy has a conversation with her parents. See how this scene changed from a heartfelt conversation with her parents to tough love when her parents discover their daughter is only a meter maid and not a “real cop.”
- Detective Work – Judy borrows a fellow police officer’s computer to conduct research, which turns out to be no small task.
- Alternate Jumbo Pop – In this early version of the story where Nick was the main character, the filmmakers and Jason Bateman were able to take hustling to a new level.
- Hopps’ Apartment – When Judy’s entire family pays her a surprise visit they are shocked to discover the company she’s keeping.
- The Taming Party – In this emotional clip from an early version of Zootopia, Judy attends her first "taming party" and gains a deeper understanding of the plight of the predator.
- "Try Everything" Music Video by Shakira.
There is no doubt that Disney has done it again when it comes to turning what could have been a simple children's tale into a completely original story full of humor, heart, action, and imagination that is perfect for the whole family.
Young and old will surely cheer on Zootopia's brave duo, and, if kids can walk away having learned an important lesson about self-confidence, never giving up, and acceptance, then it's surely a win-win!
Filled with laughter, heart, adventure and thrills, Zootopia has a running time of 108 minutes and is available now. Be sure to keep an eye out for this magical film at your local retailers as well as from Amazon (where the Blu-ray Combo Pack currently retails for $22.99).
You can also find out much more about this great movie from Disney as well as on Facebook.
Other than a copy of Zootopia that I was provided in order to facilitate my review, I was not compensated or enticed to do this post in any way. This review is solely my honest opinion about this product.