But as well as making sure you've packed enough sunscreen, haven't forgotten your child's beloved stuffed animal, and have enough clean underwear to get everyone through the trip, have you ensured that your vehicle is prepared for your road trip in the heat?
We all work to make sure that our car can keep us safe through the cold of winter, but it's important to know that there are steps to take before logging all of the summer road trip miles on it as well. Thanks to State Farm, you can easily check items off of your vehicle's checkup list and rest easy that your vacation will be hassle-free (car-related, at least)!
Before your family road trip this summer, remember to:
- Inspect the radiator, pressure cap, belts, and hoses to make sure they are in good shape with no signs of blisters, cracks, or cuts in the rubber.
- Check fluid levels: brake, automatic transmission, power steering, windshield washer and coolant. Make sure each reservoir is full and if you see any sign of fluid leakage, take your vehicle in to be serviced.
- Check the air pressure in all tires, including the spare.
- Make sure the wiper blades are functioning properly.
- Check battery life and inspect batteries and battery cables.
- Inspect brake pads and linings for wear; change the oil and filter according to manufacturer’s service interval specifications.
- Test the headlights, brake lights, turn signals, emergency flashers and interior lights.
Your bags are packed, your car has been inspected and your emergency kit is filled and stowed... time to hit the road for vacation, right?
Hold on! Before you take to social media to say goodbye and head out the door, keep in mind a few more great tips that will help keep your home, children and pets safe, secure and happy while you're gone.
For the remainder of the summer (and for all road trip vacations to come), be cautious, be safe and be prepared. Along with having the important supplies in your car, take the time to regularly check that all of your vehicle's equipment is working properly. Your family just might be depending on it!
Head over to the State Farm website to find many more tips, ideas, information and more that can help keep all aspects of your life prepared and ready for anything. Plus, connect with them on Facebook and Twitter so that you won't miss the great articles this good neighbor company has to share.
And, thanks to their generosity, one person will be prepared for their next road trip even more than usual, because...
One lucky person will win a Summer Trunk Safety Makeover Kit*
from State Farm (ARV $50)!
from State Farm (ARV $50)!
*Kit includes: State Farm cross-body bag, travel mug, first aid kit, mini flashlight, Rand McNally Road Atlas, jumper cables, windshield scraper, tire pressure gauge, 9-piece ratchet set and hand driver, pliers, (2) screwdrivers, electrical tape, automotive fuses, insulated ring and spade terminals, work gloves, triangular hazard sign carrying case.
A big thank you to State Farm for providing a prize pack for me as well as for one lucky giveaway winner. The opinions shared are my own and honest and if you really need to see more, click here to see how I roll.